Jan 23, 2010

my newest project.


It's a very big work in progress at the moment and my guess is that it will take me months to complete it... and again, it's nice to work on something that doesn't involve paper or glue. :))) I love quilts, but I wanted to make something a little more artsy-fun-young..... and not your typical grandmas quilt. That's when I had the fantastic idea of making an Inside-Out/Art-Quilt. (okay, so I don't even know if that's a real term for a quilt, but I like it!!) Lot's of crazy sewing lines, seams showing and mis-matched frayed fabrics, try saying that 3 times fast, and I wanted each square to look a little like my scrapbook pages that I've made.



I'm using mostly repurposed fabrics, some of Alaina's old clothing, and vintage linens I've collected over the years. It's probably the perfect project for me, as I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to pretty fabrics. Just can't help myself! I still haven't decided on a size yet, but to date, I have 36 squares completed. Each square is 6x6 inches and has about 8-10 layers of fabric. I thinks it's just the right project to keep me creatively challenged for awhile!!



I've been a bit under the weather lately, so I haven't really made any more progress with it, but as soon as I start to feel better, I'll keep updating with new photos!

23 comments:

cupcake studio said...

Oh wow...this looks like it's going to be spectacular!

Meghann Andrew said...

This is such a cool project. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Joanna said...

That is such a great idea and the fabrics you are using look beautiful. I can't wait to get another update. Hope you feel better soon!

Cheryl said...

oh my gosh...that is BEYOND amazing!! love it so much!

Danielle said...

OMG Tara....this looks INCREDIBLE already!!! I can't wait to see the finished project :) It's going to be beautiful :)

Unknown said...

My mouth watered when I saw the yumminess that is this project!!! WOW! We need a tutorial on this - I'm totally intrigued by the colors and layers. Seriously WOW!

Pretty Arty said...

I'd love a quilt like that :D
can't wait to see it finished!
I had made a pillow decorated with quilted squares of fabric too for xmas, not really the same thing but it made me think of it!

Robin said...

This is the coolest thing ever and I can't wait to follow along as you show your progress!

Lovely indeed!
Robin :)

Courtney Baker said...

Wow this looks awesome. i can't wait to see the finished project!

angie backen said...

ohgoodness... so divine. this is one i'll definitely have to fondle. ;)

Bonnie said...

Wow this is going to be gorgeous! LOVE your sense of adventure and the colors you have chosen!

Lisa Russell said...

It looks like it is going to be really nice! I could see it as a wall hanging. Have fun with it!

Just Us said...

Can't wait to see it done!!

Patricia said...

That looks amazing! I love your use of colors and patterns. Good luck on your project!

Patricia Vargas
Mira Belleza Small Business Web Design Studio
http://mirabelleza.com

metrochic said...

i want to touch it! holy smokes! it looks amazing already!

letter A studio said...

The quilt looks amazing - so pretty & I love all the layers. I can't wait to see more photos as you progress.

Days End Studio said...

OH yummy! A touchie-feelie fabric project... you know your going to want to run your hand all over that beautifully frayed fabric and crazee-sewn seams at the end. Wonderful Idea!!!

Anonymous said...

How strange... I just started working on a quilt too! I love the look of yours. Beautiful!!

Leslie

Lara said...

This is just soooo gorgeous!!!! I can't wait to see the progress.

Anna Joy said...

i love this! can't wait to see what it looks like done!

CB said...

I love this idea! I am just learning to sew (by hand) and I think this will be a great project for me. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing!

CraftyMummy said...

Wow! I'm a traditional quilter but I LOVE this. Combining the idea of scrapbooking and quilting is fabulous.
I've written a blog post about your beautiful quilt and scheduled it to post tomorrow morning -with a link back of course.

anna said...

This is the most gorgeous quilt I've ever seen! An out-of-the-box-quilt. I might just start quilting!