Nov 16, 2009

Apple Butter, recipe

Now that apples are in season, here is the best Apple Butter recipe, and because it's my mom's! I love having a pot of this cooking on the stove in Fall. I add apple butter to almost everything, it's especially wonderful on toast, pancakes or waffles and pumpkin bread. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!

Apple Butter

2 lbs. Rome Beauty
2 lbs. Golden Delicious
2 lbs. Newton or Granny Smith
1/2 c. apple juice or cider
1-3/4 c. sugar
1 t. lemon juice
1-1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. allspice
a pinch of ground cloves

Wash, peel, core & slice apples.
Combine with apple juice & bring to boil on medium.
Reduce heat & cover.
Stir occasionally until apples are tender, 20-30 minutes.
Puree in blender or food processor until smooth. (I used an immersion blender)
Return to heat; add sugar, lemon juice, & spices.
Bring to boil.
Turn down to simmer and partially cover until thick, stirring occasionally.
Can in jars or freeze.

Serve on muffins, toast or our favorite waffles! Enjoy! 


Marie said...

oh man i can almost smell it! I am gonna have to try it. Thanks for that!

Beth Perry said...

looks delish!

Meghann said...

Thank you so much for this! I can't wait to try it this weekend! I heart apple butter, and haven't had it since moving away from the U.S.

Danielle said...

YUMMY!!!! I am so anxious to try this recipe :) It seems so easy :D

Anonymous said...

I have never eaten apple butter before, but I made a batch yesterday and I can't wait to try it.
Thanks for sharing.