Oct 7, 2010

the first project

of October... actually it's from last month, but I just photographed it today! A very cute friend of mine sent me a large package of vintage handkerchief's this summer. (I'm not sure why I love something so much, that has most likely been used to wipe someone's nose.... but I do! I've been collecting them for years!!) Unfortunately, they have sat in the same place for the past few months, while I tried to think of some way to use them.



After my surgery, I really wanted to make something, but didn't have alot of energy. So, I thought maybe using one the handkerchiefs to create a messy-journal with a layered sewn cover would be something simple and yet still creative enough for me.
- and that's exactly how I made this journal!!

I started by layering different fabrics together and sewing them along the front cover. The actual cover for this book is a handkerchief folded in half. I gathered a bunch of papers, ledger, graph, atlas pages, music sheets, comic book pages, and score sheets and sewed them into place.





This whole book took me about 30 min. to put together. (and that's only because I wasn't walking around the house very fast to find all of the paper that I wanted to use.) The next time you're at a thrift or antique store, look for a pretty handkerchief to create a messy little art-journal!!

19 comments:

Karin said...

I adore the color combination and the simplicity of it.....

Kara said...

Oh my! That is the prettiest little book I've seen in forever.

Glad to know your surgery went well. XOXO.

Unknown said...

Lovely lovely!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty, tomorrow I am going to savers with my girls.

Have a good day.

Anonymous said...

Dear Tara,
I have been thinking of you this past month.
I am so glad you are feeling better, take your time for a full and speedy recovery.
I have to say that as a true follower I missed you and prayed for you.
Ann6

Bonnie said...

Wow, I love it! What a great way to use vintage handkerchiefs! love how it turned out and am inspired to try this too!

Diana Martin said...

I am happy to hear you are feeling a little better!!
What a gorgeous little journal, the layering is stunning and so is that little handkerchief!! xo

andrea creates said...

love this! very pretty :)

sophie said...

oh ! I am so glad you are back and you seem to be better! i adore your book! so gorgeous!

Alicia said...

I LOVE this!
So very cute!

Keshet said...

Gorgeous!

Christine said...

That is such an adorable little book! I hope you're starting to feeling better.

Anonymous said...

So good you are back and feel crafty again! I love this little book and will try to make one for myself - I really neglected my craftiness these days...
Good to hear your surgery went well. I have my next check up this saturday and hope everything is ok and I don#t need another operation. You are sending good vibes and I will craft now instead of worry!
Yvonne

Unknown said...

This is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Your projects are beautiful! I'm excited to find a fellow "Shabby Girl" :) I'll drop by often to visit you, do come visit me too! :)

Hugs,
Viola
www.violamahr.typepad.com

Juunka said...

Hello! Your art has been such a great inspiration for me since a long time!
But know, for the first time I dared to try to make something like yours. And, inspired by your art-journal I made mine!

It's here: http://juunka.blogspot.com/2010/10/szukaj-sztuki.html

Thank you for inspiration!!

Danielle said...

Simply FABULOUS sweetie!!!! I love this idea - and like you told me = start small :) I'm so glad you did this little project...it's so awesome :)

Glad you're starting to feel better!!!! Missed you lots xoxo

Susana Tavares said...

this project is so wonderful and inspiring...a wonderful choice!!!!

Jaluza Scrap said...

Lindo!!
Perfeito!!