Oct 30, 2010

Halloween- Part 2 & the Sushi costume

cute costumes everywhere!


A whole family of buzzy little bees... who were a bit busy to stay still for these photos. :) Today consisted of neighbors coming and going from the house, and preparations for tomorrows big night. fun. fun.




and I'm so totally in love with having a little dog to dress up, and she really likes her costume too. more fun.

The long awaited photos of the Sushi Costume!!! A California roll in the front & a Spicy Tuna roll in the back. Poor little Shavonne today, she wasn't feeling terribly well, so we took some quick photos and I sent her home to rest. Hopefully she'll be ready for tomorrow, Alaina has their whole trick-or-treating route already mapped out!!




I made the costume with 2 pieces of poster board, and 2 circles cut from thicker cardboard. I glued the 2 poster boards together, and sewed the circles just inside of the poster boards. The crab piece is a white towel with red felt sewn along the edge. Actually, all of the pieces are made from felt. (Love felt- easy to work with & inexpensive!!) The rice is packing peanuts, and the little sesame seeds are felt stuffed with batting.





The headband is probably my favorite part of the costume!! I decided to use 2 colors of pink tulle for the ginger. For the wasabi, I sewed a small circle of raw lime-green silk and filled it with batting. By leaving the edges out, it made this cute little puff of wasabi. I suppose I could have used the sushi grass from a tray of sushi.... but I just cut and sewed the grass from felt instead. I emptied a packet of soy sauce, and then everything got sewn onto fabric, and later glued to a head band. It sounds complex, but I think I only spend an hour or two making it. :)

and to think.. this is how her costume started!!



a couple more photos from around the home. I'm still rearranging things and finding new stuff!






I have a super-duper big day tomorrow, off to bed for some beauty rest and then up early to carve pumpkins!! good-night!

5 comments:

Monika said...

I love, love everything!!! Love the sushi costume... and can't believe the awesome witch you have for decoration! I want one! :-) Happy Halloween!!!

Lisa Russell said...

Very cool! I also love your daughter's dress! Happy Halloween to all!!

bethchien said...

awww awesome costumes! you did great on those! and I am LOVING your halloween decor.
Happy Halloween, Tara!!

Keshet said...

Whoa, how cool??

Marije said...

Oh I love this!! The headband is so cute! The whole costume is great, I couldn't even imagine what it would look like but you have done a fantastic job! :)