Dec 15, 2010
Cinnamon Ornament- tutorial
This is one of my favorite holiday crafts to do!! I remember making these in 1st grade and now I have a little 1st grader who loves to make these ornaments with me. Plus, any excuse to bake with lots of cinnamon is right up my alley!
There are so many variations of this recipe, but this one is the one that works for me. Here's my tutorial for holiday Cinnamon Ornaments:
1/2 cup ground cinnamon
1/3 cup applesauce (I use one of the kids' containers of applesauce, it's just the right amount)
2 Tbls. white glue (I'm using Aleene's Tacky Glue)
rolling pin & cookie cutters
*things for decorating: white paint, glitter, small beads or pearls, and string to hang with
1. Mix the cinnamon, applesauce and glue, in a bowl until it has the consistency of dough (I use my hands to really mix everything together, it's a little messy though!)
**If the dough is too wet, add a little cinnamon, if it's too dry, add a little applesauce.**
2. Roll out dough, on a covered surface, to about a 1/4 inch thick.
3. Use cookie cutters to cut out ornaments, and transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet.
4. Use a tooth pick to make a hole at the top of each ornament.
5. Bake ornaments at 170 F. for 40 mins. Remove from oven and flip ornaments over. Return to oven and bake for another 20 minutes at 170 F. Remove from oven and let cool overnight.
**Use this time to admire the wonderful cinnamon smell that has filled your home.**
6. Decorate the ornaments with paint and glitter, and use a string to hang from the tree.
Have fun with the ornaments!! and remember no eating them, only smelling is allowed! xo ~ t